When it comes to life insurance, there’s a common saying: “The best kind of policy is the one that’s in place when you need it.” While there’s no question that some form of coverage is always better than none, there’s still a very important difference between having coverage and having the right coverage.
A simple policy review can help determine whether you have the right coverage in place or give you the chance to make any necessary adjustments. Why is this so critical? Because your needs are constantly evolving. Such is life, right? Those pants from a few years ago may now be fitting a little snug. That motorcycle which seemed like a great idea at 21 isn’t quite as practical at 30. Situations change, and those who take a “set it and forget it” approach to life insurance coverage may very well find that their intentions aren’t carried out as effectively or efficiently as they’d hoped them to be.
Will I have to buy more coverage?
A policy review isn’t an automatic precursor to purchasing additional coverage. There are actually several different possible outcomes. Depending on your present needs, you may find that:
• Your coverage effectively meets your goals
• Your coverage ineffectively meets your goals
• Your coverage exceeds your current needs
• Your coverage does not meet your current objectives
What are common reasons for a policy review?
• It’s been 2 years or longer since a financial professional reviewed your coverage with you
• You want to make sure your immediately family is still adequately protected
• Your health has changed – either for the better or worse
• You have paid off major expenses which you were previously insuring with your life policy (Ex. Mortgage, children’s college education, etc.)
• You’re curious as to whether or not you can find more affordable coverage
• You’d like to explore a term vs. permanent life insurance comparison
• You’d like to learn more about possibly converting your existing term life insurance policy into a permanent one
What’s covered in a typical policy review?
A thorough policy review will examine any relevant changes in your life, your current life expectancy, any applicable economic factors or conditions and recent changes or developments in new life insurance solutions. We offer complimentary policy reviews to help ensure the coverage you initially put in place continues to meet your needs into the future. We’ll look at questions such as:
• Would your current death benefit cover today’s estimated estate settlement costs?
• Could your current goals be met more economically with different coverage?
• Is you’re current ownership structure of your policy as tax-efficient as possible?
• Are your beneficiary designations still current?
• Are there new product options or riders that may better suit your needs?
• If applicable, is the cash value in your policy capable of sustaining your coverage?
Some individuals may feel their life insurance is something they could easily monitor themselves. However, mistakes here can be very costly. We encourage you to take advantage of a free policy review in which we can quickly uncover the factors that need to be analyzed, facilitate any necessary changes, offer our expertise and keep you abreast of any new products or solutions available. To schedule this complimentary review, simply contact us today!